CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, August 13, 2010

Tip of the day

For or some reason I keep thinking about Rice Krispie Treats...so I thought I'd share how I make mine! One thing I always notice is that my krispie treats get hard after a few hours or after about a day. I love my treats really soft, so I found a way to keep them soft and chewy for a few days.

Recipe:

6 cups Rice Krispies
1/4 cup margarine
1- 12 oz. bag small marshmallows
9x13 pan
vegetable spray for your hands

The trick is in melting the marshmallows.

Marshmallows contain copious amounts of sugar. When sugar is heated to a high temperature, it cools into a much harder state from the intense heat. So what I like to do is melt my butter in a big pot on a lower heat, about 4 or medium low. Then I add the marshmallows to the pot before the butter is fully melted, partly to prevent the butter from getting too hot or burning. Keep the temperature low, even though it will take a little longer to melt. TRUST me! It is worth the extra time!

I stir the marshmallows continuously until they are ALMOST melted. When there are a few marshmallows still somewhat holding their shape, I remove the pot from the stove and add the Rice Krispies, stirring quickly! Pour into a 9x13 dish, lined with wax paper for easy clean up. Spray hands with vegetable spray and spread the mixture in the pan. Once these yummy treats have cooled, cut and devour them! You should, if the marshmallows weren't heated too hot, have treats to last for about 3 days, and they will be soft and fresh each day!

Let me know what you think and if it worked for you!

1 comments:

kristin said...

I love tips like this-you are the best- one day when I am a famous chef- okay- one day when I can cook pretty good, i will owe it all to yoU!! thanks

Post a Comment